illinois horse ONLINE:: The Board
November 01, 2014, 02:45:32 AM *
Welcome Guest, please

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hug your horse today! Smiley

Home   Help Staff List Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Box Store Asks Me To Leave  (Read 3767 times)
ponytail
Herd Leader

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 04:14:27 AM »

I've gone everywhere after a day at the barn ... even nice restaurants and never have had that experience.  I think that clerk was outta' line and I definitely would talk to someone in authority.  I've heard of no shoes/no shirt/no service, but nothing like this.  You took it well though!
Laura
Administrator
Ol' Grey Mare

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 02:32:30 PM »

The OP wrote, "Needless to say, I was covered with dirt and sweat.  My hair was wet enough as if I took a shower.  My breeches were almost completely covered in dirt." This is an extreme case of filth and I see no defense for it really. Personally I don't blame the manager for calmly poiting toward the exit. She was so filthy she needed handy wipes to "clean up"... I think she was quite a bit more filthy than a lot of you before she entered the aforementioned Walmart. I know how smelly and dirty I get in this hot weather and my face and glasses are also coated with a layer of grime, I usually shower right away.... I cannot imagine going into a place of business reeking of my sweat, my horses sweat and coated in a film of barn dirt and horse hair. I think horse people get used to the smell, trust me, it can be pretty foul to someone not used to it.

Even when I boarded, I refrained from going anywhere with my filthy barn attire on. Lightly soiled, no problem, but as mentioned above, hell no. Heck I would not even GET INTO MY OWN CAR in that state. Now that I have my horses at home, I change out of my "barn clothes" immediately. If you need to go out after being at the boarding barn, bring a change of clothes/shoes, if your barn does not have a bathroom, then stop at a gas station and clean up in the sink if you need to.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:35:48 PM by Laura » Logged
blwnkljmus
Herd Leader

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »

Even when I boarded, I refrained from going anywhere with my filthy barn attire on. Lightly soiled, no problem, but as mentioned above, hell no. Heck I would not even GET INTO MY OWN CAR in that state. Now that I have my horses at home, I change out of my "barn clothes" immediately. If you need to go out after being at the boarding barn, bring a change of clothes/shoes, if your barn does not have a bathroom, then stop at a gas station and clean up in the sink if you need to.

Sorry, I have to disagree. To each their own, I guess.

Walmart is the place where I routinely see people with their pants halfway down their butts while their 5 kids are running around screaming with no supervision leaving stuff that they decide they don't want wherever they feel like tossing it. These people never get asked to leave and someone who is respectful of others but dirty and smells is? How about the guy that works a dirty job outdoors? Does he need to go home and shower before he can stop to pick up a loaf of bread and some milk for his kids? How about someone who's actually homeless and doesn't even have that option? Where do you draw the line?

I'm not going to spend the extra time and gas to go home and shower just to pick up a couple of items from the store that I'll be driving right past anyway. If they don't like how I look/smell, I'd just as soon give my money to someone else.
Winslo
Weanling

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 05:51:19 PM »

The last post asks.."Where do you draw the line?"...That's what I would like to know. If you're working under your horse and he craps on your head, do you just pull out the big chunks and take off to the market...?? I feel there is a limit to how dirty and disheveled you can be and still be considered fit to be out and about. Maybe kids can get away with it but an adult is judged a little differently...and maybe even considered to be more than just a little odd..We do need to use some judgement here...
Laura
Administrator
Ol' Grey Mare

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »

homeless people cant help their appearence, mainly because most of them are also mentally ill.

I am not going to lump myself in with that group...

sent from my motorola photon using tapatalk2
Lisa
MC Slyce
Administrator
Ol' Grey Mare

member since 2001

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »

I worked part time recently at a local retail establishment - all manner of customer would come into the store.  The only time I have seen a customer being asked to leave was when other customers complained to the cashier and the manager was called up.  I wonder if people complained.

My husband works on machines - on some days he is filthy from being in a machine.  When he has to pick up the kids from school, he'll call beforehand and as if the kids can meet him outside due to the grease and grime he does not want to track around.  If he has an errand to run after work, he'll postpone it because he doesn't want to either ruin or contaminate merchandise accidentally or cause a hazard to others by getting something on the floor that could be slick.  He just wants to get home and take a "Silkwood" shower  Grin

jmhi
Giddy-up
Herd Leader

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »

Wow.

I have worked in retail & even when their pet pees/poops on the floor or a kid is puking or bleeding those people have never been asked to leave the store (and amazingly they don't even leave until they are done shopping).

I would have asked the manager what exactly was wrong that I was being hurried thru my purchase & "watched" until I left.  Angry

FWIW, I am very aware of barn smells & really don't like going anywhere in my barn clothes, but I have seen people who looked smelled worse than if I had rolled in the maure pile happily shopping away not being bothered by management.
Crystal
Horse

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 09:54:15 PM »

I was well aware that I was not in great condition.  I purposely used the handiwipes to clean off my hands and arms to ensure that any merchandise that I touched would not be "infected".  I also stayed away from any produce, or anything else that was not boxed. Nor was I "dilly-dallying"  around the store.  I was not in the store for more than 5 to 10 minutes and would not have stopped except that my dog was very sick and I had run out of rice to feed him and cleaner for the rug.   I also had brushed off my boots before leaving the stable, so I wasn't leaving the a trail.   As far as I can tell, no one was giving me a second look nor do I think anyone even had time to complain considering the small amount of time I was in the store.   Normally, I would not go shopping if I was that sweaty, but I really didn't want to have to go home, take a shower, redress and go out again, leaving my sick dog again.   I am sensitive that not everyone wants to be subjected to horse smell and sweat, but it was a special circumstance and I guess it was something that I would have explained if given the opportunity.   I did not realize before I left that morning that I would get "that" sweaty or dirty.  It has been over a year since I've groomed and tacked and over two months since I've cantered.  I really didn't think I would look that bad so I didn't anticipate the need to bring extra clothes.   
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:58:41 PM by Crystal » Logged
Carli
Herd Leader

Bought a horse, and got engaged in one weekend!

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 10:08:40 PM »

You should see my husband after removing 4 layers of roofing. You'd think he was a chimney sweep. Add that to 100+ degrees on a hot roof and you have something special. He's gone into Walmart like that, without a doubt. I think their treatment was absurd, if he wasn't turned away and you were. Hardly an issue compared with him. Is why we own a decontamination chamber (the biggest utility room you've ever seen).

Carli

dressage. n, the passionate pursuit of perfection by the obsessively imperfect.
ponytail
Herd Leader

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »

My mother was 1 of those people who "dressed" for housework/yardwork/running errands - I was and still am in awe.  I see folks like that when I'm out and compliment them ... however, nice I think it is, IMO in today's world it's so unnecessary - 'specially with the price of gas and people trying to maximize their time. 

In today's economy, I think places of business should be happy that they see bodies in their stores spending $$ and worry a little less about appearances. 
eventrider
Herd Leader

Gotta' luv him!

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 10:49:56 PM »

Remember, we are talking WALMART here!  I would rather be in ANY setting with a sweaty, dusty person than people who obviously go out INTENTIONALLY looking like they don't own a mirror and obviously have broken showers and bathtubs!

Seriously,  Walmart, not Nordstrom!

Your horse is your partner.  Treat him as such.
Laura
Administrator
Ol' Grey Mare

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »

Even after this entire debate, I bet it was still an extenuating circumstance that you were even asked to leave (wrong place - wrong time)... it most likely will ever happen to you again.

Even so, like Winslo said, using judgement is a good idea.

Laura
April49
Weanling

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 01:32:03 AM »

Even after this entire debate, I bet it was still an extenuating circumstance that you were even asked to leave (wrong place - wrong time)... it most likely will ever happen to you again.

Even so, like Winslo said, using judgement is a good idea.

Laura

I agree. 

I mean I have had sweat dripping off the bottom of my jeans and you could wring my shirt out and no one has ever said anything to me.
cherokee
Herd Leader

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 05:58:15 AM »

OM word this is just ridonkulous.  In the past when I was riding alot if I needed to run to town I went to town and got what ever I needed.  Usually in dirty jeans, t-shirt boots from just finishing riding and grooming.  I have never once been asked to leave and if I would have been crap would have hit the fan.  Most stores post no shirt no shoes no service not if you aren't clean you can't shop.  I have always had the attitude that if you don't like the way I look then you don't have to look.
snaffle
2014 IHO Member O' the Year!
THE ELITE 1
Ol' Grey Mare

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »

A few years ago I was shopping at Walmart and ran into a woman who made a mad dash into Aldi for pie crust.

She had hay in her stocking cap and cattle manure on the sleeve of her Carhartt Jacket.

She even had dried manure on her Ariat work boots.

I would have brushed off the manure. It easily could have been done.

No one said a word to her. Perhaps because she was a regular in that store and was easily recongized as a customer? Or because she happened to be one of the wealthiest women in town?

*****I found the  delightful grey arab gelding name Colton*****I found the  delightful grey arab gelding name Colton*****I found the delightful grey arab gelding name Colton*****
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: