illinois horse ONLINE:: The Board
April 25, 2014, 05:55:57 AM *
Welcome Guest, please

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hug your horse today! Smiley

Home   Help Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Ask the pro.. Dressage questions.  (Read 13495 times)
wejump2
Weanling

Stella learning Piaffe

« on: June 23, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »

Hi
The board is really slow so I thought I would answer any Dressage questions.
I am a USDF L , FN Germany certified and an FEI rider and trainer.
If you have a dressage related problem, ask away.
BF
michi
Happy Go Lucky
Herd Leader

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 08:09:39 PM »

What a nice gesture! I hope people take advantage of your vast knowledge!
whostardis
Horse

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:33:08 PM »

I'm new to dressage and have a question.  When I see judges listed for show, they always have a letter (s, r etc.) designation.   I've been through the rules and can't find what these designations mean.  Can you help?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming "WOW! What a ride!"
dsyoung
Yearling

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:41:07 PM »

L graduates (not called judges) go through a USDF training and testing program. USEF (not USDF) licenses r, R, and S judges. r judges may judge through Second Level, R judges may judge through Fourth Level, and S judges may judge through Grand Prix.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." -Oscar Wilde
serendipity
Foal

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:33:47 PM »

And then there are the FEI levels:

C  =  Candidate judge (kind of a step between USEF "S" judge and FEI "I" judge)
I  =   International judge
O  =  Can judge at any level, all competitions including the Olympics.
agiudice
Foal

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 03:45:53 PM »

question about a bit....
Is a boucher with a french link legal?

Showing at Silverwood  next week and this is what my beast goes best in!
eventrider
Herd Leader

Gotta' luv him!

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 04:46:20 PM »

Absolutely legal.

Your horse is your partner.  Treat him as such.
wejump2
Weanling

Stella learning Piaffe

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »

Every one has beat me to the answer and everything was correct including the bit which is legal. You can also go to USEF website where you can find a list with pictures of legal bits.
abldragon
Foal

Izabeau's Star- Ster Friesian Mare

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 09:48:39 PM »

I have a question in regards to what is the rule on a Friesian's tail when showing dressage. My mare's tail drags the ground about 4 inches. One of the dressage trainer's told the gal that was showing my mare that he wants her tail cut. As the owner, I'm a bit against it, I've been taking care of her mane, forelock and tail for her entire 9 years getting it as long as it is. I looked at the USEF rule and FHANA rules and can't find a firm answer except for that purebreds should be shown in their natural splendor with full mane, tail and feathering. Can you offer any advice?
dsyoung
Yearling

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 11:05:44 PM »

question about a bit....
Is a boucher with a french link legal?

Showing at Silverwood  next week and this is what my beast goes best in!

I am also showing at Silverwood next week! Have a great show! Smiley

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." -Oscar Wilde
Desederada
Queen BITCH
Ol' Grey Mare

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 11:25:59 PM »

I have a question in regards to what is the rule on a Friesian's tail when showing dressage. My mare's tail drags the ground about 4 inches. One of the dressage trainer's told the gal that was showing my mare that he wants her tail cut. As the owner, I'm a bit against it, I've been taking care of her mane, forelock and tail for her entire 9 years getting it as long as it is. I looked at the USEF rule and FHANA rules and can't find a firm answer except for that purebreds should be shown in their natural splendor with full mane, tail and feathering. Can you offer any advice?
Whenever I see them shown dressage they are always french braided the mane in not left natural.  The forelock should be braided unless it's a stallion. Sorry, can't help with the tail but I've never seen one excessively long. I read an article that said if your horses mane is excessively thick you can split it down the center and french braid it on both sides. How are you maintaining that tail? Do you keep it braided and bagged?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:32:51 PM by Desederada » Logged

Sure, horses buck. But often it means they are feeling good.  You should be happy for them.

My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder
He carries me away from all my fears
And when the world threatens to fall asunder
His mane is there to wipe away my tears.
agiudice
Foal

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 11:51:57 PM »

great, I'll be the one on the ground screaming owow! while my big black horse looks on with a smile
eventrider
Herd Leader

Gotta' luv him!

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 01:11:18 AM »

I haven't seen a rule regarding tail length.  Manes should be have a running braid.  The only thing I would thing about the tail (and having seen more than my share of saddlebreds in saddleseat classes with excessive tail length) is that the tail can get wrapped around the hind legs. 

I would NEVER consider cutting (or banging) a breed horse's tail that is normally shown full main, tail and feathers.  That said, I would somehow manage to make it so it just barely hits the ground and is not dragging.

You may like the flowing look, but it is not traditional for dressage.

Your horse is your partner.  Treat him as such.
agiudice
Foal

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 01:08:48 AM »

opinions then....

My Irish Draught has a super thick mane. I roach it. His forelock is decent, thick n fluffy. Braid forelock or not? He has a big plain head if that helps a bit.
wejump2
Weanling

Stella learning Piaffe

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 01:22:24 PM »

I know you are not going to like this but the tail should be cut to just above the pastern. The top of the tail should be pulled so to present a nice clean tail.
Having said that I would be amazed if any judge lowered any score for excessively long tail.
Friesans can have the running braid on their mane.
Good luck
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: