illinois horse ONLINE:: The Board
October 30, 2014, 08:11:18 PM *
Welcome Guest, please

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hug your horse today! Smiley

Home   Help Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bosal vs Side Pull  (Read 2128 times)
Bhall8705
Yearling

« on: March 18, 2010, 04:00:03 AM »

I recently purchased a 9 year old QH who will not ride with a bit. We purchased her from someone who did not know the history besides her being a broodmare for the past few years, she does have some snaffe bit earnings from 5-6 years back. When I went to go see her she would not accept the bit so we used a side pull and she did very well, I currently have a bosal and have rode her a few times in that and she did good with that also, but currently does not neck rein.

I am unsure which would be better for her, a bosal or a side pull?

Id appreciate any feed back on either one, I have never had much experience in either and want to make sure to use the one that is best for her at this time.

also...a vet is coming out to check her teeth to make sure she does not have any soreness in her mouth to cause her to not take the bit.

"A woman needs 2 animals in her life. The horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it." :-D
twistedwire
ChickenMaster!
Herd Leader

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:33:36 PM »

Kudos to having a vet check her teeth...that, or a rough history, could be a huge factor here.

I'd personally go with a sidepull, as it has direct pressure, meaning you pull left, the horse's nose gets pulled left.

The way I understand a bosal is that it's a transition 'bit' between a snaffle and leverage bit.  When used properly, it starts teaching the horse about indirect pressure and leverage.  That means: You pull left, the nose gets pulled to the right.

This factor in itself is why I greatly disapprove of so many people who insist on riding in shanks when they or the horse isn't ready for leverage. :p

www.marykay.com/lisaporter2012

Use coupon code IHO10 for 10% off your Mary Kay order!
aavag
Foal

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 05:05:19 PM »

Another option would be a bitless bridle. I use one for my horse and our ponies. We have amazing control and an excellent whoa for the kids, without being in the horse's mouth. There are a few brands on the market. The one with the best design imo is called the Nurtural Bridle. http://www.nurturalhorse.com

You can also check on ebay and tacktrader to find one used.

Good luck.
MIKE ZIMMERMAN
Horse

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 04:14:48 AM »

A sidepull does what it says it pulls from the sides. A traditional hackamore (bosal+hanger+mecate) has the reins tied at the heel knot on the bottom. The steering is the same. If you pull left the nose goes left.  The sidepull only uses nose pressure. A hackamore uses nose pressure and pressure on the lower jaw where the mecate and heel knot touch about where a curb strap hits. Because of the balance of the hackamore it gives the horse a signal when you use the rein the bosal will move before it engages the nose and jaw. I prefer the hackamore because of the signal it sends and I'm working my horses up to the two rein then a full bridle. 
I think either will work for you until you figure out the bit issue.  

I do not like the bitless bridle because it doesn't just use pressure but tightens up on the nose and poll at the same time.  
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:27:06 AM by MIKE ZIMMERMAN » Logged

Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.  -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Laura McClure
Yearling

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »

I am a HUGE fan of the hackamore. I had a side pull once, but gave it away. I wil NEVER part with my good hackamore!

here are some links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScfr9h-bkE - get past the music, he explains it

http://www.elvaquero.com/The%20Hackamore.htm
http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=G2864
http://www.horsechannel.com/western-horse-training/hackamore-training.aspx
http://www.clevewells.com/videos/hackamore.cfm
http://www.aldunningsadtack.com/products/Advance_To_The_Hackamore-101-10.html
http://bennyguitron.com/hackamore-bosal-training-dvd.html

Bhall8705
Yearling

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 10:39:34 PM »

Thanks everyone! Yeah I think I will stick to the bosal since I am now riding her in that and she is doing very well with it. I have slowly been working on leg cues and neck reining too.

Now I am looking for a new bosal so if anyone has any suggestions on one just let me know.

"A woman needs 2 animals in her life. The horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it." :-D
MIKE ZIMMERMAN
Horse

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 02:15:27 AM »

Rob Gerbitz custom makes them from scratch. Gerbitzquarterhorses.com or PM him on here RGerbitz
 Support local craftsmen!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:17:54 AM by MIKE ZIMMERMAN » Logged

Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.  -Ralph Waldo Emerson
twistedwire
ChickenMaster!
Herd Leader

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 03:46:25 PM »

I saw Rob's stuff on the site-it looks like great quality work!

Forgive me for being a pest, but I can't find anything to support how I learned about bosal's and their leverage like function.  We spent several days with a few horses at school 'teaching' them to give to the pressure, as it wasn't direct...but everything I read online says it's direct.

But how?

When you pull on the bottom of it, the top of it would tilt the other way, as if you're pulling the bottom of a steering wheel to the left...the top goes right.

Iym Kunfoosed.

www.marykay.com/lisaporter2012

Use coupon code IHO10 for 10% off your Mary Kay order!
rgerbitz
Foal

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 06:05:29 PM »

Thank you Mike and Lisa for the kind words.  I will try not to confuse the subject to much.  I haven't rode much myself in a hackmore, but it is often a topic of conversation around here and we have done a fair amount of research on the topic.  LauraM put up some very good links look at for info.  One thing that often gets overlooked is proper fit and feel of the hackmore.  There are a variety of sizes and feels of bosals.  What works good and fits one horse isn't necessarily going to work for another.  Bosals come in sizes from 1 inch in diameter down to 1/4 inch.  And can be as stiff and ridged as a baseball bat to soft and raggy as piece of rope.  Some where within those possibilities is a bosal that is just perfect for your horse. Wink  The selection of which will be best for you will mostly depend on the sensitivity of the horse and the ability of the rider to maintain that sensitivity.  A sensitive horse will need a softer bosal than  a duller animal will so as to keep from over exposing them to pressure.  Where as a duller horse will require a stiffer rig that more clearly sends the message.  As for fit, the perfect bosal can be rendered useless if not fitted to the horse properly.  A large number of commercially available bosals are to large for most of the horses out there.  Its not that the can be made to work it just takes about six or seven wraps with the mecate to get them to fit right.  Which can start to interfere some with the function of the bosal.  A properly fitted rig should only have a 2 or three wraps on it, be about 2 to 3 inches up past the back edge of the nostril, and you shouldn't be able to slide more than 2 fingers under the jaw between the jaw and the mecate wraps.  The nose button of the hackmore should never sit on the soft tissue of the nose, it should ride well up on the hard bone of the nose.  Hope I haven't confused this to much.  Ask more questions or give a call, we love to chat about this kind of stuff.

Rob

Desederada
Queen BITCH
Ol' Grey Mare

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »

The thing about a bosal is that you only use one rein at a time.

Sure, horses buck. But often it means they are feeling good.  You should be happy for them.

My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder
He carries me away from all my fears
And when the world threatens to fall asunder
His mane is there to wipe away my tears.
Laura McClure
Yearling

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 09:54:33 PM »

a video link just happened in my lap on fitting the bosal:

http://westernhorseman.com/index.php/component/content/article/94-2010-slide-shows/1256-bosal-adjustment.html

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: