illinois horse ONLINE:: The Board
July 23, 2014, 03:56:54 PM *
Welcome Guest, please

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hug your horse today! Smiley

Home   Help Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stallion not interested in certain mare ?  (Read 1541 times)
hrqrts
Foal

« on: August 19, 2009, 01:32:00 AM »

This was a few years back, was curious if anyone else has experienced this.  I had a 4 year old AQHA/APHA stallion that I was trying to breed to my old QH mare...He would had bred mare...so I know he knew "what" to do.  He would NOT breed this mare, and she was in heat big time...would back up to him and pee, and he just stood there...not talking, no smelling...nothing!  I even tried putting her next to another mare in heat, and got him "excited" but even then he wouldn't breed her.  It was weird.  I guess maybe he was just immature or something...
Desederada
Queen BITCH
Ol' Grey Mare

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 01:44:21 AM »

Sometimes they just don't find certain mares attractive.  It happens.

Sure, horses buck. But often it means they are feeling good.  You should be happy for them.

My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder
He carries me away from all my fears
And when the world threatens to fall asunder
His mane is there to wipe away my tears.
paige
Herd Leader

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 03:16:57 AM »

It absolutely happens.  My boy would not breed my Peponita mare.  He would do the same thing--pretend he could not see her.  But I know why--she had many many many babies but had never been bred live cover.  Nor was she about to by the time it was his turn.  She made a believer out of him early on, and from then on, it was a fun game. 

When people would be there when she was in heat, I would get him and show them how funny he is--he would rant and carry on, until he saw who the offer was from.  Then BAM, he was blind as a bat.  Shut him down every time.

Sometimes, the boys are way smarter than we are.  I learned to take his word for it if he did not want to breed someone.  She was the only one he ever flat refused, but he is really good at telling me that today is not the required day for a particular mare

hrqrts
Foal

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 03:26:09 AM »

LOL.  Ya they are funny.  I have an older Zippo stallion now that I just bought and he was so funny...he was primarly collected and hadn't been bred live cover in years.  I brought him out to the mare (who was in BIG TIME heat) and he talked to her and so on, then he got up next to her and aggressivly rubbed his head all over her...all over her back and hips...I almost died laughing.  I know he was just testing her, but I've seen one do that. lol.
paige
Herd Leader

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 04:26:55 AM »

He's flirting--that is pretty common pre-mounting behavior.

PT
OPONIONS
Ol' Grey Mare

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 06:37:41 AM »

Does he show any interest in da boys..?

(jus kidding  Grin)
ponytail
Herd Leader

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »

Sometimes they just don't find certain mares attractive.  It happens.

Right, Des.  Happens in human males/females all the time ... you're bad PT - but that happens in humans, too!!
Desederada
Queen BITCH
Ol' Grey Mare

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 07:32:58 PM »

You'll notice your stallion gets really excited over certain types of mares.  My Welsh stud is around TB mares all day.  He'll give them a little hubba hubba wink when they walk by but when he sees the neighbors Arab whores mares he goes nuts Grin
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 07:55:37 PM by Desederada » Logged

Sure, horses buck. But often it means they are feeling good.  You should be happy for them.

My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder
He carries me away from all my fears
And when the world threatens to fall asunder
His mane is there to wipe away my tears.
Angela
Horse

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 07:50:23 PM »

Too funny!  I know that stallions can have "favorite" mares, but I have never, ever seen one flat refuse a mare in heat....interesting......
RWQH
Foal

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »

We've known stallions that won't cover certain colors of mares!  The owner had to get smart and put a blanket over the mare to get the stallion to cover her!  LOL

Rising Water Quarter Horses
Home of World Champion stallion Phenomenal Creation
www.risingwaterqh.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: